Ah, summer. It’s the season of leisurely brunches and poolside cocktails. Unfortunately, it’s already coming to a close and 2020 is quickly approaching. Don’t panic though—we have a refreshing way to mellow out and ease the transition with these CBD-infused cocktails.
As you most likely know by know, CBD is the non-psychoactive component from cannabis that’s known for its relaxing properties. It won’t make you high or stoned, but may help you feel a little less stressed, making it a welcomed addition for a cocktail. The CBD infusion has started to pop up in some restaurants and high-end bars, depending on where you live. So we’ve taken a few of our favorite recipes to bring to you.
CBD Mint JulepA lover of agave spirits, cocktails, and experimenting with new ingredients, Maxwell Reis—the Beverage Director of Gracias Madre in West Hollywood—was one of the first to start incorporating CBD into cocktails.
“This stiff and refreshing cocktail is perfect for kicking relaxation mode into overdrive. The vegetal notes from the cannabis create a stellar backdrop that transforms this whiskey-centric cocktail into a serious porch pounder.” - Maxwell Reis
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 8 mint leaves + extra for garnish
- 15 mg CBD tincture
- Muddle the leaves and simple syrup in a chilled julep cup.
- Next, add the bourbon and top with pebble ice.
- Add CBD, then top with more pebble ice.
- Garnish with 3 mint springs.
CBD Mezcal MargaritaWhen Maxwell Reis isn’t behind the bar at Gracias Madre, he can be found in Oaxaca, tasting new Mezcals. In this margarita, “the smoky mezcal, vegetal Aquavit, and CBD team up with your favorite green juice to create a flavor profile that Cheech and Chong could get behind.”
- 1 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce aquavit
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce agave syrup
- 1 ounce of your favorite green juice like celery, arugula, kale, etc.
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 15 mg CBD tincture or oil
- Edible flowers to garnish
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the mezcal, aquavit, lime juice, agave syrup, green juice, salt, and CBD tincture or CBD oil.
- Shake, then fine strain into a lowball glass with one large ice cube.
- Garnish with a cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or your favorite greens.
The Chill LebowskiCourtesy of The Nickel—one of the new chef-driven downtown Denver restaurants in the heart of the Theatre District. This cocktail makes for the perfect dessert drink to satisfy your sweet tooth and add a little spice.
- 1 ounces Vodka
- 1 ounce or single shot espresso
- 1 ounce honey syrup
- 3/4 ounces Ancho Reyes Chili Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Frangelico
- 1 egg white
- 2 dashes chocolate bitters
- 12 mg CBD oil
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker (except CBD oil) and shake vigorously to create a frothy head.
- Double strain the cocktail into a snifter glass and allow the drink to settle for a few seconds.
- Add CBD oil on top of the cocktail in the froth and enjoy.
The CuraFizzIf sweet and tart is your go-to, this cocktail is the ultimate mashup. Made with a berry puree and a squeeze of lemon juice, it’s refreshing, relaxing, and not overly sweet.
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Aperol (can also substitute a strawberry or raspberry puree)
- 1 egg white
- 15-20 mg CBD oil
- Rose petal for garnish
- Place all ingredients in a shaker with no ice for a dry shake for no less than 10 seconds.
- Add ice to the shaker and give a final shake.
- Pour the liquid into a lowball glass and garnish with a rose petal.
The CBDikiWant to feel like you’re still on vacation relaxing by the beach? This fruity and tropical cocktail has you covered. The only thing it’s missing is the umbrella.
Created by Jerrod Gardiner for Hogshead
- 1.5 ounces mezcal (infuse 8 oz. with 1 tbsp of Togarashi or any chili powder blend; let sit for 20 minutes)
- 1/4 ounces lime juice
- 3/4 ounces pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounces watermelon juice
- 1 ounces coconut cream
- 1/2 ounces heavy cream
- 8 mg CBD oil
- Angostura bitters
- Fresh mint leaves (to garnish)
- Mix all ingredients except bitters and mint in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain over glass filled with crushed ice.
- Top with 7-8 dashes of bitters and mint.